but WE DID IT!
Let me start from the beginning. Last April I watched contestants on the Biggest Loser run a marathon. I was blown away that someone who was so unhealthy could begin working out and 6 months later be in good enough shape to survive a marathon.
At the same time, I had been considering joining a gym with childcare so that I could be intentional about losing Jackson's baby weight. (I call it his baby weight as if I had no contribution to it whatsoever - HA) Anyway - when I saw the marathon, I thought 'if they can run 26 miles, why can't I learn to run 1!?'
It was a huge deal for me. I have never run in my life. In high school I almost failed PE because I couldn't walk a 15 minute mile to complete the Presidents Physical Fitness Challenge. No kidding.
So, I talked to a few friends who almost laughed when I said I wanted to run a mile (as if anyone could do that) and told me I should do a 5K. I laughed. No WAY would I even aspire to THAT, since one mile seemed impossible.
I didn't tell many people at the time and have never blogged about it until now because, honestly, I NEVER thought I'd actually accomplish it.
Anyway, they set me up with a training schedule. I took it super slow. I started out running 30 seconds and walking 4.5 minutes (and I thought 30 seconds would kill me) a few days a week and then once a week I did a "distance" day. My goal on my first distance day was one tenth of a mile. Each week I increased it, little by little. Running 1 minute, walking 4, etc.
It took me 16 weeks (4 long months!) to work up to running a mile. It was tough.
I did really enjoy going to the gym all summer though. It gave me "ME" time. It was a goal for myself - that had nothing to do with my home or children (hope that doesn't sound bad. but you know what I mean...there are times when I get so absorbed in being Stephen's wife and Mary Beth and Jackson's mom... well, I just needed something that was mine. my time. my goal.)
After I completed that goal - 3 miles didn't seem so scary. I knew I needed a new goal to keep me going. Stephen said if I wanted to run a 5K he would do it with me. I thought I was crazy, but I started searching online for a 5K and found a race on our anniversary weekend. No major plans, but I kept it in the back of my mind.
I kept meeting little goals along the way. In October, I got back to pre-prego weight. In November, I ran 2 miles. December, 2.5 miles. On January 1st I registered for the 5K. No turning back. I worked up to 3 miles in January but still had a lot of training to do to be able to run hills.
For 6 weeks I worked on hills, but then it was here. Ready or not - the race was here. I knew I could do it - but I was terrified. Even after we got to the race Saturday, I wanted to back out. This was CRAZY.

On March 6th, Stephen and I completed our first 5K.
I wasn't fast. It wasn't pretty. But WE DID IT!




7 comments:
You have done an awesome job!!!
I am getting back in the gym next week after this consignment sale.
That is AWESOME. Congratulations!!
AWESOME!!! I'm so proud of you - you're an inspiration. I thought I was the only one who walked those presidental fitness tests... ug. Thanks for sharing!!
Congratulations!! Running is hard work and that is great that you set a goal and worked hard to achieve it. I bet you felt great after you ran the 5k! That was very sweet of Stephen to do it with you too.
And don't feel bad that you enjoy having some time to yourself. I get up at the crazy hour of 5am three times a week so that I can go to a 6am class at the gym. There is childcare later in the mornings, but I love being able to leave my kids and hubby in bed and just have time to myself. I think it makes me a better wife and mom!
I didn't laugh at you did I? I don't remember laughing at you...if I did I am very sorry.
Congratulations, Laura!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are awesome :-)
Post a Comment